Developing with Silva
Full Silva developer documentation
The Silva developer documentation site http://docs.silvacms.org/ is generated with Sphinx and therefore always up-to-date with the code changes. On the site you will find documentation about the API of Silva, how to write Silva extensions, how to write your own Silva theme, how to set up a Silva development environment, ..., etc.
Silva API documentation
Silva has a very robust and clean API, writing Silva Extensions is therefore very easy and straightforward for every experienced developer. It makes developers eager to create new extensions and extend Silva. The API is well documented and more information can be found on the developer documentetion site.
Silva code style
Coding for Silva is done respecting the coding style, which will feel for every developer as most common sense for coding. Have a look at the complete Silva coding style.
What do you need to get started writing Silva code, and some best practices?
- A code editor, use one you like and feel comfortable in (Emacs, VI(m), Eclipse, Komodo, ..., etc.)
- Use spaces and not tabs in your code
- Use UTF-8 encoding
- A system with all dependencies installed (version control clients, ...)
- Always read the README.txt of the software you're working on (or other written documentation within the product)
- Read the developer documentation if you're working on Silva or a Silva Extension
- Write tests for your code to prove your code is indeed perfect
Setting up a Silva development environment
To setup a Silva development environment we advice to use buildout to set it up using a development profile. Have a look at Installing Silva with Buildout on how to achieve this.